Dear Parents and Families,
Fraternities and sororities are one of the many ways in which students can get involved and contribute to the University community. Fraternity and sorority members are committed to academic excellence, community service, and philanthropy. Greek membership results in lifelong friendships and provides leadership opportunities that can assist students in their academic and professional endeavors. This community at the University of Utah consists of 19 organizations – 11 fraternities and 8 sororities. The Office of Fraternity and Sorority Life works closely with recognized chapters to enhance the overall Greek experience by upholding academic and community standards, organization rituals, and University policies governing fraternity and sorority activities.
There are many benefits to being a member of a fraternity or a sorority. Below is a list of how membership can shape your college experience to being more than the average.
- Offers a home-away-from-home environment
- Enhances education that happens in and out of the classroom and in the classroom, University of Utah Greeks have higher GPA's than non-affiliated students
- Allows for opportunities to give back, help others and serve the community through service and philanthropy.
- Provides leadership activities and experiences that aren’t available to non-affiliated students.
- Increases the students involvement on campus.
- Gives members an advantage of networking with alumni.
- Develop life long friendships, memories, and a strong sense of accomplishment.
- Allows students to be a part of something greater than themselves.
I invite you to become informed about Greek life activities, especially the new member education process. I encourage you to talk with your student and encourage him or her to base selection of a Greek organization on personal lifestyle and values, general compatibility, and organization goals. Parents and families can serve as consultants to students as they define themselves during their college years. By exploring our website you will learn more about fraternity and sorority life that will help you have conversations and connecting with your student.
Our goal is to ensure that the Greek experience at the University of Utah provides a safe and enjoyable avenue for students to grow and develop during their college years. If you have any questions or concerns, please don’t hesitate to contact me.
In Greek Spirit,
Director of Fraternity and Sorority Life